Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Wizard Rock the Vote, DC Edition

On Monday, July 30, Rock the Vote staffers went over to the Black Cat to see how the voter registration efforts are going in the world of Wizardry.

Andrew: Let's get wizzard on this blog

Whitney: Moving past your ridiculous new slang, let's introduce the world to Harry and the Potters. Although almost cooler [but not actually] is the Wizard Rock the Vote work, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Wizard Rock is an "underground" music movement that involves bands named after Harry Potterish things, that sing about Harry Potterish things.

Andrew: I'm not sure if it is so much an "underground" music movement as it is a straight up phenomenon within the HP fan community. I saw more excitement by the members of the crowd towards wizard rock than I have seen at any of the shows I frequent, this is, in my opinion much more than a movement...


Whitney: Come on, they like to think that they are underground and hip, and a little hardcore. I mean, for real, they are fighting the evils of society and the government through music.

Andrew: A lot of HP's story intertwines with the real world and the fact that there is that overlap gives the Potters a real incentive to register voters. The thing that I found most impressive was how united all 3 bands were about both the concert in general (they opened the show with a song performed by all bands on the tour and all had different messages about unity, positivity and voting; as well their "Wizard Rock the Vote" PSA playing...

The conversation continues. Stay tuned for more about this magical evening.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Rock the Vote Blog