Friday, June 27, 2008

Look How Far We've Come

[Editor's note: This is part of a series from our Rock the Trail Reporters. Each reporter was asked to write about what music has inspired them.]

I am crazy about the new Matchbox 20 song "How Far We've Come." It reflects both the hopelessness and optimism my generation feels regarding their potential to "save the world."

Since I graduated, it's harder to keep the idealism I've always had, because there are so many older folks who think they just can't do enough to save the world. When I hear this song it reminds me to keep up the fight. It reminds me to ask myself every day, "What am I doing to help people and to save the world?" Stopping war, ending genocide in Darfur, combating global warming: What can I do, and how can I empower others?

The lyrics of the song ironically suggest that when things are coming to an end (whether it's my end or at the hands of big mushroom clouds) it makes sense to pretend nothing will happen to us. But the song is fast and empowering and I think they are really asking us how far we can go, how far we're ready to go, and if we're ready to go right now.

-- Sarah Burris
Rock the Trail

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Rose dL said...

Sarah,
I am a student activist of the 60s and I say -- don't let go of your idealism. The involved youth and your movement empower people of my generation, so do not despair.

I too like the song "How Far We've Come." You might want to take an ear to another song that optimism that marks this election http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMPWXOzE0jg .

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Rock the Vote Blog