Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Brother Ali: The Inspirational Truth

[Ed.'s Note: This post is part of a Rock the Trail series on how music inspires political activism. Check out www.trailblog.rockthevote.com for more updates.]

Power-house MC Brother Ali motivates me to speak my "Undisputed Truth." Ali leads by example, challenging me to utilize my political power with the intensity of a B-boy or B-girl in a heated cipher. Whether he's calling out the U.S. government for its dealings in the villainous slave trade in "Uncle Sam Goddamn," or riffing on the botched elections and war in "Letter from the Government," Ali effectively relates a shared struggle and striking hope for the future.

Balancing his identities as an albino Muslim from the Midwest, Ali's lyrics encourage me to utilize my unique experiences to address complex topics. As a moving example of civil discourse, he creates genuine discussion about race, white privilege, violence and personal growth. In "Daylight," he divulges his inner-most feelings: "So they ask me if I'm black or white, I'm neither. Race is a made up thing. I don't believe in it ... I know that I benefit from something I hate." Songs like Ali's "Forrest Whittaker," in which he celebrates his unusual physical features, encourage me to be confident, expose my vulnerabilities and wear my insecurities like a badge of honor.

Ali's dialectical whirlwind of personal, social and political commentary places him at the forefront of inspiring and motivational artists.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Rock the Vote Blog